Northwest Industrial Resource Center (NWIRC), along with community partners, is hosting several What’s So Cool About Manufacturing (WSCM) Student Video contests for the 2018/2019 school year. Three competitions will be held, including 1) Erie County, 2) Crawford, and 3) Mercer/Lawrence Counties. The goal of the program is to create awareness and change perceptions of manufacturing careers among students, parents, teachers, and the community. This program, which began in Lehigh Valley (Allentown Area) by the Manufacturers Resource Center (MRC) , is now in its 6th year of success.
• A video contest among 7th and 8th grade students at middle schools in Erie County
• Contest work begins in October 2018 and ends with an Awards Ceremony in March 2019
• Each participating school district assembles a team of five students and a Teacher Coach
• Each school team is matched with a local manufacturing company to research, interview, and film for a two minute video that captures “What’s So Cool About Manufacturing?”
• Students will spend time planning and then one half day (4 hours) filming at their assigned manufacturing company
• Project kick-off begins with a mandatory 90-minute Teacher Training Seminar
• Each participating school will receive the following resources:
– All necessary video equipment and accessories
– Professionally recorded Media Training (4 part video series/ 16 min. total)
– Teacher Guide to augment the Media Training Series
– Training specifically focused on equipment usage and media editing (optional)
– Professional editing feedback throughout the project
• Online portal for designated public voting period leading up to Awards Ceremony
• An Awards Ceremony on March 8, 2018 with ALL participating student teams, parents, teachers, and companies
There are several ways to get involved, become a Featured Manufacturer Sponsor or a Program Sponsor! Contact Laurie Knoll at (814) 217-6066 / email@example.com for more details.
Be sure to Like and Follow the program on Facebook and Twitter @WSCM NW!
SEE THE VIDEOS: