Northwest Industrial Resource Center (NWIRC) is launching the What’s So Cool About Manufacturing (WSCM) Student Video contest in Erie County as part of the Dream It Do It state-wide initiative. The goal of the program is to create awareness and change perceptions of manufacturing careers among students, parents, teachers, and the community. This program, which began in Lehigh Valley (Allentown Area) by the Manufacturers Resource Center (MRC) , is now in its 4th year of success and we are excited to introduce this program for the 2017-2018 school year.
• A video contest among 7th and 8th grade students at middle schools in Erie County
• Contest work begins in October 2017 and ends with an Awards Ceremony in March 2018
• Each participating school district assembles a team of five students and a Teacher Coach
• Each school team is matched with a local manufacturing company to research, interview, and film for a two minute video that captures “What’s So Cool About Manufacturing?”
• Students will spend time planning and then one half day (4 hours) filming at their assigned manufacturing company
• Project kick-off begins with a mandatory 90-minute Teacher Training Seminar
• Each participating school will receive the following resources:
– All necessary video equipment and accessories
– Professionally recorded Media Training (4 part video series/ 16 min. total)
– Teacher Guide to augment the Media Training Series
– Training specifically focused on equipment usage and media editing (optional)
– Professional editing feedback throughout the project
• Online portal for designated public voting period leading up to Awards Ceremony
• An Awards Ceremony on March 8, 2018 with ALL participating student teams, parents, teachers, and companies
Click below for information about becoming a sponsor, there are several ways to get involved! Or, contact Laurie Knoll at (814) 898-6955 / email@example.com.
Be sure to Like and Follow the program on Facebook and Twitter @WSCM NW!
SEE THE VIDEOS: